Since 2000, I have been writing down all of the books I read every year in my journal. I like to keep track of what I read and try to make improvements. I am hoping that posting this list will encourage me to read more.
Here are (in no particular order) books (and plays) I read this year for school, book club, research, and just plain enjoyment. Sometimes they all just blur together. A little bit down from last year (35), but to be fair, I probably read well over two hundred scholarly articles.
I want to read more books in 2012. I usually try and read a couple from the Pultizer Prize list, but will have to make that a priority this year. And I have been reading two different Lincoln biographies forever that I need to finish…
- Their Eyes are Watching God – Zora Neale Hurston (2nd time)
- The Help – Kathryn Stockett
- Mrs. Warren’s Profession – George Bernard Shaw
- The French Quarter – Herbert Asbury
- Dust Tracks on a Road – Zora Neale Hurston
- The Great Southern Babylon – Alecia Long
- Sarah’s Key – Tatiana de Rosnay
- Brothels, Depravity & Abandoned Women – Judith Schaffer (I actually met her to talk with her about my research and she was awesome! Very funny)
- The Bluest Eye – Toni Morrison
- Sula – Toni Morrison
- Storyville – Al Rose (2nd time)
- Topdog/Underdog – Suzan-Lori Parks
- Slave Narratives – Frederick Douglas (first book I bought and read on my kindle)
- In the Blood – Suzan-Lori Parks
- Fucking A – Suzan-Lori Parks
- Jarhead – Anthony Swofford
- African American Solider in the Civil War – Mark Lardas
- Whip Smart – Melissa Febos
- Quicksand – Nella Larsen
- Home to Harlem – Claude McKay
- Last Exit to Brooklyn – Hubert Selby, Jr. (BLEW MY SOCKS OFF)
- Graphs, Maps, Trees – Franco Moretti
- A Light in August – William Faulkner (2nd time)
- The Invisible Man – Ralph Ellison (4th time)
- The Garden of Eden – Ernest Hemingway
- Mad Madame LaLaurie – Victoria Cosner Love & Lorelei Shannon (I need to loan this one to Trixie)
- Sin in the Second City – Karen Abbott (Thanks, Amanda for giving me this book)
- Welcome to the Monkey House – Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
- Song of Solomon – Toni Morrison (2nd time)
Looking forward to an even better year of books in 2012!